The Plastic Problem Q&A - #5
QUESTION from the audience at PBS NewsHour Presents: the Plastic Problem Panel Discussion
Is there a company or group that rates or holds companies accountable for helping to combat the plastic problem?
The Ellen MacArthur foundation and UN Environmental Programme launched the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment in 2019. Signatories include companies representing 20% of all plastic packaging produced globally, as well as governments, NGOs, universities, industry associations, investors, and other organizations. As part of this, signatories report their progress on six different metrics:
– Elimination of problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging through redesign, innovation, and new delivery models is a priority
– Reuse models are applied where relevant, reducing the need for single-use packaging
– All plastic packaging is 100% reusable, recyclable, or compostable
– All plastic packaging is reused, recycled, or composted in practice
– The use of plastic is fully decoupled from the consumption of finite resources
– All plastic packaging is free of hazardous chemicals, and the health, safety, and rights of all people involved are respected.